We comply with Australia’s Privacy Principles (APP), California’s Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Canada’s new Consumer Privacy Protection Act (CPPA) and Europe’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Browser Cookies: If you leave a comment or a review on the site you can choose to have your name and e-mail address saved using a cookie so that you don’t have to enter your details again should you decide to leave another. These kinds of cookies are set to last for one year by default but you can delete some or all cookies from your computer anytime. Just look up the steps for clearing cookies specific to the browser and device you’re using.
- In some cases: ordering a free or paid Brand Voice Report; registering for a branding course or creating an account here at howtobrandyou.com, WordPress, the open source platform this site is built with, will set a temporary cookie to determine whether your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you quit your browser.
- Several cookies will be created when you sign in to create or revise credentials and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days; screen option cookies last for a year. If you check the option to “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, those login cookies will be removed.
- You can install the Privacy Badger extension (a project of the non-profit Electronic Frontier Foundation) for most popular browsers to detect whether you’re being tracked.
- You can check the cookies that are being set by any website at cookieserve.com
- Contact forms: Any information you send in a contact form stays with us, in Canada and isn’t shared.
- Copyright: You will often find excerpts from material created by others about archetypes, branding and how to refine your brand’s voice here at howtobrandyou.com. We’re diligent about asking for permission in advance unless we believe the material to be clearly ‘fair use’ (or, as it’s called in Australia, ‘fair dealing‘ or, if it has been identified as Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) by Creative Commons. If you, as a copyright holder, feel that we have infringed on your rights please let us know by emailing email@example.com and we will promptly modify the material, clarify its attribution or remove it completely.
- Email: howtobrandyou.com uses Jilt, to deliver transactional e-mails about your purchases (like order confirmations, receipts and abandoned shopping carts), and MailPoet (now a part of Automattic, the company behind WordPress) for our Inwords Newsletter.
- Tracking: There is no Facebook, Google or other advertising/social media tracking at howtobrandyou.com, however, (1) we use Matomo Analytics so we can understand how visitors interact with the site because it’s trusted on over 1 million websites (including NASA, the United Nations, Amnesty International and the European Commission); and because it’s open source. (2) Easy Digital Downloads, our shopping cart checkout solution and the platform that delivers your report, anonymously tracks how its plugin is used in order to help make the plugin better.
How long your data is retained
If you leave a comment, it and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue. This site also securely stores any personal information you provide in your user profile. You can see, edit (anything except your username) and delete your personal information at any time. Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have to your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request an export of your personal data. You can also request to have your personal data erased. This does not include any data we may be obliged to keep for administrative, legal or security purposes.
Where your data goes
- Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
- Stripe and PayPal are the secure payment gateways we currently use for paid reports and purchases you make on this site.
- howtobrandyou.com is hosted securely by hostwithlove.com (affiliate link because we heart Host With Love’s service) on Canadian web servers in Quebec, Canada.
We monitor user-created and user-supplied content and we curate material and resources that have been created by others, but doing so does not constitute our endorsement of any users or services. We aren’t responsible for the statements made by any third party, nor can we be held responsible for the consequences of any errors in, or omissions from, content that has been created by, or on behalf of How to Brand You. We reserve the right to terminate abusive accounts or material at our sole discretion.
It’s in our best interests to ensure free, uninterrupted access to the Brand Voice Quiz and Reports, but it’s impossible for any site to guarantee 100% up-time. Furthermore, we may update, revise or restrict the availability of any part of the site.
No representation or warranty
You are responsible for any content you contribute to this site and you warrant that you are its author, or that you have the authority to do so. Text and images at howtobrandyou.com contain links and references to external content we cannot be held responsible for.
For help with your Brand Voice report or your account you can chat with us when we’re online, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or check our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Changes will be clearly identified here, at the bottom of this page. We will do our best to advise you if you have subscribed for updates.